Sunday, January 16, 2011

grateful for a day off...

I'm up late enjoying everyone else being asleep.   And I have the day off tomorrow, so I'm not feeling as stressed as I usually do on Sunday evenings!

So speaking of the day off... I haven't really thought a lot about Martin Luther King, Jr. in years past.  I didn't study much about him in school and he was killed when I was too young to know what was going on.   In fact, when we first started honoring his life and his work when I was in college, I felt bad for Lincoln and Washington because (in most places) their individual days were combined into one Presidents' Day and ML King got his own day.   But I am so appreciateive of his work and his dream.  I was fortunate:  I grew up with parents and in an area supportive of integration.  My parents actually had me bused to a predominantly black school because they had an excellent educational program--this was in the early years of magnet schools in the early 1970s.   I'm grateful for the risk my parents took to provide this opportunity.  I'm grateful for the risks that Martin Luther King took to make this country a place in which I  had that opportunity.   I was able to grow up in an environment unheard of by even a generation or two before mine.   Thank you, Dr. King.

No comments:

Post a Comment